Exeter is a vibrant, attractive, and historical city with a rich cultural scene and a variety of attractions to explore. Here are just some of the way you can enjoy your visit:
- Visit the stunning cathedral: Exeter Cathedral is a magnificent example of Gothic architecture, featuring impressive Norman towers and intricate Gothic ceilings. Attend a service or simply admire the beautiful structure.
- Take a tour with the red coats: Join the free Red Coat Guided Tours to learn more about the city's history and discover its hidden gems. These knowledgeable guides will take you on a journey through Exeter's fascinating past.
- Explore the underground passages: Venture underground and trace Exeter's unique Underground Passages, which date back to medieval times. Guided tours are available to help you navigate these curious vaulted passageways.
- Visit the Royal Albert Museum: Immerse yourself in Exeter's 2,000-year history at the award-winning Royal Albert Memorial Museum. This museum offers a comprehensive collection of artifacts and exhibits that showcase the city's rich heritage.
- Discover the shops, bars, and restaurants: Head to the West Quarter or the cobbled Gandy Street to explore a great mix of independent shops, boutiques, cafes, and bars. Exeter is renowned as one of the foodie capitals of the South West, offering a diverse range of eateries to suit every taste.
- Experience the city's vibrant events: Exeter is host to a wide range of events throughout the year, including the famous Christmas market, flea markets, farmers markets, crafts, concerts, live music, and comedy nights. Check the city's event calendar to see what's happening during your visit.
- Enjoy a show at one of the city's theaters: Exeter is home to a thriving arts scene, with a mix of independent venues such as the Exeter Phoenix and larger venues like nearby Powderham Castle. Catch a play, concert, or other performance during your stay.